♥ Thursday, May 28, 2009
D2D- Today, I woke up at 5am just to make sure I would reach Hua Yi Secondary School on time at 7am.
Well, I alighted at Lakeside MRT Station since, according to street directory, it's the nearest station to HYSS. However, upon alighting, I asked the uncles and aunties around me abt HYSS and they gave me a look "What on earth is that school? Never hear before!!"
It was 6.45am at that time. And it was time to PANICK!! So, I began to search for HYSS students (I have no clue of how their uniform was like) and I realised it's like "hai di lao zhen" (finding a pin in the haysack) cos there were many other students around - Yu Hua Sec, Jurongville sec etc etc.
Suddenly, I saw the words "HYSS" printed on the front pocket of a boy's uniform. So, I immediately chased after him and followed him all the way to HYSS.
Well, managed to reach the school in time. Jasmine and Shawn just reached HYSS as well. Shawn is 28 this year, same as Dy but unfortunately or fortunately, he does not have a gf / married!
ahem. gossips aside.
Today, I took Sec 2T1 with Shawn. It was my first time with a stranger volunteer and taking a class that is not of express stream. But to my pleasant surprise, I find that Sec 2T1 are actually very nice to get along with! They are friendly and jovial people who just wanted to have fun instead of studying all day long =P Today, we conducted the programme -Dare to Dream or D2D for short.
This programme is about teaching the kids multiple intelligence (Eight to be precise) and that each of them possess a different kind of intelligence from the rest so actually there is no need for them to compare with each other because each individual is different and unique!
This programme is done twice a year and this is the second time Trybe is conducting this year. So the next d2d programme would be done next year already...
Anyways, I was pretty horrified at some of the students' attitudes because despite us saying 'no' to their requests to change in the toilet into their PE attire in preparation for PE, they still insisted and tried to change my mind anyways. So I told them firmly that they were not allowed to change until after the session was over. (well, a minority of them (like Rena..the volleyballer who's in Band as well) managed to get changed for some reason. rawrz.)
Also, at 10.40am, we gave them a break till 11.15am and the next session was done by Leovine, one of the part-time staff at Trybe. And, when the break was over, only half the class was at the classroom. Then, I saw one guy walking into the classroom and he was all sweaty and stuff. So I asked him, "Why are you perspiring all over?" He replied saying that he was playing volleyball. Then I asked for the rest of the classmates and someone told me that they are in the hall playing volleyball. Leovine, I guess, was pretty nervous about it too cos he went out of the classroom wanting to find them (though he didn't know that they were at the hall). So I just ran after him and told him I would go find them instead since I know who they were and they would recognise me instead of him. And sure enough, I found them in the hall playing volleyball and so I told them to go back to classroom cos the teacher was waiting already. That was how we got the class back to classroom. phew! But I must thank the teacher of the school as well because I could tell she wanted to help me find the students as well. =)
I guess I managed to bond with a small group of them through a drawing session which was during the last session (Jovita's session) where everyone got to draw a scenary shown on the projector screen. That's when the group came together to view what I'd drawn. Then I told them that as long as they have the interest, they will draw well. and to my delight, a guy actually tried to copy what I'd drawn ( a house and a coconut tree - as usual)!
Furthermore, at the end of the session, a few girls actually came up and hugged me,telling me that they'll miss me (awwwww...!!!)! It was a very heartwarming experience in HYSS.
Thanks 2T1 for this memory of HYSS! Thanks for creating this wonderful memory for me!
... just be more obedient and less playful next time lah okay? =)
And to that girl, if you have any problems, always remember to share. Do not keep it in your heart. And don't ever say you don't have a future. Everyone has a future. I strongly believe in it.
3sa impacted lives at 3:33 AM